Smoky Mountain Christmas is one of my favorite festivals at Dollywood! Going to see the Christmas lights, fabulous shows, and all of the tasty treats definitely puts me in the holiday spirit—even the weather contributes to my festive mood! If you’ve ever been to Dollywood this time of the year, you know the elements can be unpredictable. The temperature can be in the upper 60s one day and the next day can feel like you’re in the North Pole. Which is why planning for any type of weather is a must for Dollywood during this season. Here are a few items that you should consider bringing to ensure that you’re well prepared to enjoy Smoky Mountain Christmas!
- Warm Layers- This is a no-brainer. Gloves, hats, scarves and warm shoes/boots are a must during the Christmas season. Since most of your time will be spent outdoors at night, wearing these things will help you stay toasty and warm!
- Hand and Feet Warmers- These little pockets of sunshine are life-savers. You can put them inside your gloves, shoes or pockets to give you a little extra warmth. They come ready to use, are air activated, and are completely safe. Most will last up to 10 hours so they’re perfect for a fun filled day at Dollywood. You can purchase these at most sporting goods stores, chain stores and Amazon.
- Umbrella and/or Poncho- It’s always good to have one (if not both) of these just in case the weather decides to take a wet turn. No one wants to walk around in soggy layers all day so having one of these is always a good idea. Be sure to check my Insider Tips on storage and where you can purchase these in Dollywood.
- Touch Screen Gloves- Taking my gloves off repeatedly to get pictures always aggravated me. So, this year I purchased a pair of touch screen gloves! These gloves will allow you to use your smart phone without exposing your hands to the cold. Taking pictures in the winter has never been easier and your hands stay happy!
- Lip Balm- Spending extended time in the cold, winter air and riding all of the rides at Dollywood (while fun) can take a toll on exposed skin. Cold air has always been a nemesis to my lips. Having a tube of lip balm with me while I’m enjoying Smoky Mountain Christmas has been a big help. Be sure to pack a few extra for family members in case someone loses theirs.
- Blankets- If you have family members who use a stroller, wheelchair or electric convenience vehicle (ECV), be sure to bring blankets. Sitting and riding, as opposed to walking, can make the temps feel colder—so, having a cozy blanket on hand will be an added help to stay warm! To find more info on stroller, wheelchair and ECV rentals at Dollywood, click HERE.
Smoky Mountain Christmas is always a special time to visit Dollywood, and being prepared for the weather will ensure that you have a wonderful time making unforgettable Christmas memories that will last forever.
Tip 1- If you happen to come on a day when the temps are unseasonably warm, be sure to check out Dollywood’s Rental Lockers to keep all of your layers until it gets chilly. You can find more information on renting a locker HERE.
Tip 2- Be sure to see one of the many Christmas shows during Dollywood’s Smoky Mountain Christmas festival. You’ll see some amazing performances and be able to take a break from the cold weather.
Tip 3- If you forget your umbrella or poncho on a damp day, be sure to stop in one of the shops throughout the park. Many stores usually have umbrellas and ponchos to purchase.